Empowering Workforce Safety: Prioritizing Security in the Workplace
Let’s be honest. Discussing the importance of physical security in the workplace isn’t always at the top of our to-do list. It inevitably brings to mind the many serious situations that make us realize why we need it. But the truth is organizations of all kinds face various threats to physical security in the workplace. That’s why embracing technologies that can protect our employees, customers, and business assets is more crucial than ever.
What is Physical Security?
So, what exactly is physical security? It involves using security technologies and practices to detect, discourage, and safeguard individuals and property from physical actions and events that could result in loss or damage to a company, agency, or institution.
Now, should businesses prioritize physical security? Absolutely. Recent statistics highlight why it’s essential for companies of all sizes to have the right systems in place.
According to Zippia, there are approximately 2 million victims of workplace violence in the United States annually. In 2020 alone, workplace assaults caused 20,050 injuries and 392 fatalities. Shockingly, 85% of these fatalities were the result of robberies. Workplace violence costs American businesses an average of $250 to $330 billion every year.
Fires are also a significant concern. National statistics reveal that over 100,000 fires occur annually, and early detection is crucial for saving lives and minimizing damages. Commercial property fires cost owners over 2.4 billion dollars per year. Even more alarming is the fact that 52% of these fires occur in buildings without functioning smoke detectors.
5 Top Ways to Mitigate Risks
Now, let’s explore the 5 top ways to enhance security in the workplace and business environments:
- Video Surveillance: Monitored video surveillance acts as the first line of defense for any business. It allows you to monitor your facility 24/7, prevent losses, and maintain a timestamped record of activities.
- Intrusion Systems: Utilize intrusion systems incorporating motion detection and alarms to detect and deter unauthorized entry.
- Access Control Systems: Safeguard your facility by managing access to the building and critical areas. This not only ensures the safety of your employees but also provides a record of activities.
- Fire Alarm System: It’s astonishing how many facilities have outdated or malfunctioning fire alarm technologies. Consult with professionals to ensure your facility is equipped with the latest fire protection technologies.
- Professional Monitoring: Opt for professional monitoring services so highly-trained security experts can quickly respond to alarms, verify emergencies, and coordinate law enforcement intervention when needed.
If you’re in Pennsylvania or the Tri-state area and seeking a commercial physical security company, consider ESCA. We pride ourselves on providing top-notch service and customized solutions tailored to your industry and needs. Our scalable solutions grow with you; we never lock you into proprietary systems. Count on ESCA to be your trusted partner in commercial security.